Fashion-Challenged: Wedding Edition

by Abby on May 16, 2011

A sad fact about being a stay-at-home/work-at-home mom is that your wardrobe suffers. Since I am almost always at home, who cares what I wear? (I don’t count the grocery store, gym, or playground as destinations worthy of dressing up.) I don’t want to “waste” a cute outfit if I’m not going to see anyone except my kids and the mailman all day. Besides, skinny jeans just can’t compete with my well-worn yoga pants.

Princesses Beatrice and EugenieMy fashion deficiency does present a problem when I need to look decent in public, however. Like this weekend, when we attended a wedding. I haven’t been to a wedding in YEARS. I actually had to Google “what to wear to a wedding.” (Answer: NOT this, Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie.)

So that didn’t help. Nor did my husband. Seeing as it was HIS friend whose wedding we were attending, you’d think he’d have a clue about the venue and/or dress code, right? Wrong. It could have been a farmyard hoedown or a black-tie ball for all he knew. He didn’t even know if it was a daytime or evening wedding. Thank goodness for the other wives, is all I can say.

I had to go to 5 different stores before I found a dress – a pretty classic sheath dress in a bright purply-pink. I wasn’t sure about the color, but I was psyched about the silver shoes and clutch to go with it. Heels, even! As rare to this at-home mom as adult conversation.

Well, people, I’m happy to report that for once I got it right. Jewel tones are hot right now, if you didn’t know. The other women at the wedding were bedecked in turquoise, emerald green, corals, purples, hot pinks – and most accessorized with metallic shoes and bags. Score one for me!

Me & C at weddingOf course I was regretting the heels about 20 minutes into the reception. (Most of the other, smarter, ladies brought flats or flip-flops to change into, BTW. Note to self for next time.) But still, we had a blast. Once again I was reminded of how nice it is to leave the kids and sweats at home, get dressed up, go out, and be a grownup for a little while. And if there’s dancing and an open bar, all the better.

You would think my husband and I would capture this rare, well-dressed evening on film, right? Wrong again! Not that we didn’t try. (Thanks a lot, A.F. Next time I’ll ask someone who’s had fewer cocktails.) 😉 The truth is, we were too busy partying to pose for long. (“The Worm” was involved, but that’s all I can say since I’m sworn to secrecy. Check YouTube.)

So I guess you’ll have to take my word for it that I clean up pretty good. Any other fashion-challenged moms out there? Do you like dressing up or loathe it?

Jennifer Larson May 16, 2011 at 1:25 am

I’m laughing in solidarity with you!

Also, my husband sounds suspiciously similar to yours. For example, a few years ago, we were planning to attend his college a capella group’s big fancy reunion. They were planning to have several events, including a dinner one night and a concert the next afternoon.

I fretted about what to wear. After all, I had two strikes against me. 1) I’d most recently been working as a newspaper reporter, a group of people generously described as sartorially challenged, and 2) I’d just had a baby earlier that year and had the hips and weirdly-widened ribcage to show for it. Also, I was all intimidated because said college was Big Important Ivy League University, and I was worried I’d stick out like the Rube from the Small Liberal Arts College that I Was (er, still am). What the hell was I going to wear? Hubby just shrugged. “I don’t know. Whatever. It doesn’t matter,” he said airily.

Sure thing, sweets. As I sit there next to the big shot wives who live and work and shop in NYC, I will look just delightful in whatever I pull off the floor of my closet.

At any rate, it looks like you did just fine! And now you have an outfit for the next occasion to come along.

Abby May 16, 2011 at 5:38 pm

LOL, Jennifer! I WAS that liberal-arts rube amidst a sea of Ivy-league wives!! My husband kept asking me if so-and-so’s jewelry was real. How do *I* know? Mine was all costume jewelry!

Loukia May 16, 2011 at 4:01 am

From what I can see from the picture, you looked great! Glad you found a great dress and heels! And yes, bringing an extra pair of more comfortable shoes is a must! 🙂

Abby May 16, 2011 at 5:39 pm

That’s a big compliment coming from a stylish lady like you – thanks!!

Kathleen@so much to say May 16, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Hilarious! I’m almost universally unhappy with my wardrobe, casual and dressy. I have my eyes on 18 months from now. Get through this last pregnancy, nurse the baby, and then–weight loss, here I come. And when I get my weight back where I want it…shopping spree!!!!

Abby May 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm

From what I hear on the makeover shows and read in the magazines, wrap dresses are the way to go if you’re changing sizes. But what do I know? 😉

Name NTrick May 16, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m expecting my first child in just a few weeks and can already somewhat relate. I’ll be back at work in March of next year…but I work in IT so its up to me to actually wear clothes with something like style. Thanks for sharing a peak into my future!

Have you seen this one: https://www.facebook.com/editprofile.php?sk=contact&success=1#!/photo.php?fbid=10150603187460386&set=o.203705509669392&type=1&theater

Enjoy the laugh!

Abby May 16, 2011 at 5:41 pm

I DID see that – hilarious! Good luck w/ the new baby! Fashion should be the last thing on your mind at this point. 🙂

Angie Mizzell May 16, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Girl, I feel your fashion pain. But it does look like you nailed it! I shop for events the exact same way. My closet it sad, and I wait until something comes up to start looking!

Shannon @ AnchorMommy May 17, 2011 at 3:19 am

From what I can make out, you look gorgeous in that dress! Well done!!

Oh, I LOVE getting dressed up and being an adult. Last month, my husband and I got dressed up to go to an awards ceremony for his industry, and it was so nice to have adult conversation! Even though I spent a sizable portion of the evening silently stressing out about how my mom was faring during the bedtime process with the kids…

P.S. – Thank you for posting that picture of the crazy princess hats! My mom was just telling me about those, and I had no idea what she was talking about.

Frume Sarah May 18, 2011 at 1:14 am

OK — I thought that the picture was blurred to protect the privacy of the partygoers. Ha!

This post is coming at a BAD time for me as I am about to leave my busy and fulfilling rabbinic life to be a full-time mom. In a rather rural area. Will I suddenly feel the need to wear sweats and forget how to throw together an ensemble??

FTR, even blurred, you looked smashing!

Abby May 18, 2011 at 5:32 pm

My advice to you: Embrace the sweats! They’re way more comfy than any “ensemble.” 😉 And besides, given your many talents and pursuits, I doubt you will ever become “just” a full-time mom.

Frume Sarah May 26, 2011 at 1:55 am

{{blushing}]

And anyway…I don’t actually wear pants. 🙂