Things I Think About at Yoga

by Abby on June 1, 2011

Woman doing yogaYou know how at the end of class, there’s the relaxation/meditation part – savasana? When you’re supposed to clear your mind and let go of any thoughts? Yeah. Well, I’m not so good at that part. Here are the things that were going through my mind at the end of my last yoga class:

• It is so hot out. I really hope it’s not this hot tomorrow night for T-ball. We should bring popsicles. Do we have a big enough cooler? What about that vegan kid? Are popsicles vegan?
  • What about a blog post on the importance of mom’s night out? The last one I went to was pretty fun. Those girls were hilarious. But oh, man, what about that time I hit it off with that mom who was a friend of a friend, and then I realized she’s married to my ex-boyfriend? That was awkward.
  • What should I have for dinner when I get home? I’m not that hungry. I have that reisling in the fridge. Maybe just wine and chips.
  • The picky kid’s coming for a playdate tomorrow. Should I run to the store to get mac & cheese, the only thing he’ll eat? I don’t feel like going to the store tonight just for mac & cheese. Sorry, kid.
  • It’s so hot out. Is there enough time to go to the pool before T-ball? Probably not.
  • Do I want to spend sitter-time driving out to Costco to get Miles that scooter-thingie for his birthday? It’s a 40 min. drive. Or should I take Riley? No. Definitely have to go alone.
  • Shoot. I have to remember to send those e-mails tonight. And write a blog post for tomorrow.

Well, I got one thing accomplished at least. Clearing my mind? Fail. Blog topic? Done!

Tell me the truth: can you clear your mind and meditate? Or is it like when someone says “don’t think of an elephant”?

Adrienne Gomer June 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Omigosh, i do the EXACT same thing during savasana in my yoga classes! I’m thinking about the snacks I want to eat later or whether or not my daughter needs a bath tonight, what shows are on later, etc… I was just in a yoga class last night doing it. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

Abby June 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Haha! Glad it’s not just me. 🙂

Lou Mello June 1, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Very funny and very real. I don’t do Yoga, but, I do try to do a little quiet meditation occasionally. Some folks may call it reading the back of your eyelids, but, my intentions are more or less pure. However, it is really hard to keep thoughts out…did I tape that NCIS episode, do I have enough time to stop by for Wine tasting tonight, what the heck have I forgotten today??

I’m right there with ya, may as well just figure out how to live with it and just let it flow…oh yeah, I do have to buy some more wine.

Abby June 1, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“reading the back of your eyelids” — love that, Lou. And yeah, buying more wine is always on the to-do list! 😉

jetts31 June 2, 2011 at 1:54 am

I don’t do yoga but does it count if I think about those same types of things when I’m in the car, lying in bed, sitting in church, walking the dog, or any time I have a free second to think?

Abby June 2, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Oh, yeah, church is the worst. 😉

Jennifer Larson June 2, 2011 at 6:25 pm

It’s like you people read my mind.

I try to pray in church, I really do.

I try…and then I start thinking about how hmmm, I still need to put those clothes in the dryer, but I need to remember to take the little coral sundress out and hang it up because otherwise it will shrink and then it won’t look right anymore…and are we out of parmesan cheese because if we are, the pasta sauce I was going to make for dinner is not going to work at all and I need to come up with Plan B…and I still need to email that woman about setting up an interview for the freelance article that’s due Tuesday and geez, I hope she gets back to me pronto because Tuesday is almost here…and God, it is so annoying that the day camp won’t let us send PBJs in the summer because it’s supposedly too hard to monitor the classes that have nut allergies during the summer and what on earth am I supposed to send every day instead…and did we ever order any new checks…and…

Abby June 2, 2011 at 9:58 pm

It’s like you infiltrated my brain, Jennifer!!

Frume Sarah June 2, 2011 at 11:54 pm

This is the exact reason I know I could never do yoga. I’d be all over the place. Similarly, I can’t do guided imagery, Feldenkrais, Alexander technique, etc. I get on the tangential highway…and then fall asleep.

Loved this.

Angie Mizzell June 3, 2011 at 8:30 am

Actually, it’s hard not to fall asleep during savasana. But you’re so much better at multi-tasking than I am. And when in doubt, definitely go for wine and chips.

Kate Taylor June 11, 2011 at 6:47 pm

The last time I went I was next to this girl whose husband is just a total tool. I was thinking, you know, if we put our heads together I but we could poison him and no one would ever find out. How can I casually bring that up. “Say, I was thinking we could off your husband…”

KT