Who IS This Kindergartener?!

by Abby on September 12, 2011

At kindergartenWhen I was little, I was the kid with butterflies in her stomach on the first day of school. I was the kid who got so excited/anxious about birthday parties and sleepovers that I’d literally make myself sick beforehand. I’m still having post-traumatic stress flashbacks from gymnastics camp when I was 7. Oh, I liked it…eventually. But anything new and different scared the hell out of me as a kid.

My son is nothing like me. My eldest child skipped off to kindergarten – new school, new teacher, knowing no one in his class – with barely a backward glance.

At pick-up after his first day, I waited breathlessly for his recap. I started with an open-ended question: “So what was your favorite part?”

“Everything was my favorite.”

“Yeah? That’s great!”

“At first I was shy but then I got used to it. I can’t wait to go back tomorrow!”

Who IS this child?!

Of course, I’m thrilled. And a little awestruck. My son could teach ME a thing or two. I can actually picture him leading motivational seminars. They’d have to lower the podium a little and serve juice boxes, but I bet he’d attract a crowd. His presentation would include:

–          “I Have Those Same Crocs”: How to Make Friends and Influence People

–          Question Authority: Why Ask Why? Because You Can

–          How to Tune Out the Noise and Focus (On Coloring)

–          Just Because Recess is Over Doesn’t Mean You Have to Stop Having Fun

To assure you that my son is still a normal kid, I will also point out that he has been coming home with his lunch uneaten because he doesn’t like the way the cafeteria smells. “It smells like when you make dinner.” Thanks.

And the other night, when I told him he’d better get to bed to rest up for another big day of school he said, “AGAIN?!” I guess he hasn’t fully adjusted to his new schedule yet. Neither have I. I’m still having anxiety dreams about sleeping through my alarm and forgetting to pack his lunch. And don’t get me started on drop-off and pick-up. I’d wager that the running-of-the-brides at Filene’s Basement is less chaotic. Give us time, though. I’m sure we’ll get used to it. Just like gymnastics camp.

LAUGH O’ THE DAY: Miles told me they’re learning about “Agent Egypt” at school. Mummy spies? Awesome!

Lou Mello September 12, 2011 at 8:13 am

It’s so funny how kids have their completely unique personalities and that they deal with life so differently than Mom or Dad. I think his loving his first real school experience is great, sure makes it easier on you.

The whole drop-off, pick-up thing is sure strange to me. When I was a kid, we were always in walking distance and that’s what we did. My daughter was picked up by a bus since we lived on a farm out in middle of nowhere. My only experience with the drop-off craziness is when I go to the local high school for an early morning with the Interact Club, a high school Rotary Club. I get there early enough so it’s not an issue, but, when I try to leave about 8:20 or so it is hard to even cross the line of drop-offs to get to my car. Because the school has 3200 kids, they have traffic cops and a whole traffic flow process that is a maze to the non-initiated.

Abby September 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Yes, Lou! That’s exactly what drop-off is like!

Nadine Feldman September 12, 2011 at 11:22 am

How cute! This post made me smile from start to finish. Adorable!

Abby September 12, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Thanks, Nadine! Glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

Malia Jacobson September 12, 2011 at 5:33 pm

So funny! My daughter could chime in with “Bartering for Preschoolers: How to Swap Lunches with Friends So Mom Has No Idea What You Ate!” and “How to Lose that Cute New Accessory From Target in the First Five Minutes of Recess!” I agree, pick-up and drop-off are SO chaotic and so much more complicated than I ever imagined. And packing lunches gives me a tension headache from trying to devise the perfect combination of foods that will a) stay fresh and b) get eaten. But she loooooves going to school and I’m getting the hang of it! P.S. Your son is adorable.

Kim September 13, 2011 at 12:37 am

I’m laughing at the “Again” and how the cafeteria smells reminds him of when you cook 🙂 Oh the joy of innocence! I wonder about how our children adjust to going to kindergarten full day, every day. Maybe in the beginning it is like going to an amusement park, but then the newness wears off and they realize they still have to keep going, loving it but in a different way! I love the photo of him. He looks older than a kindergartener!

Abby September 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Thanks, Kim & Malia. He is pretty darn cute. Of course, I’m biased. Malia, love your presentation topics – ha!

jetts31 September 13, 2011 at 10:50 pm

I cried when my mom left after dropping me off for my first day of Kindergarten. I’m not proud of this and please don’t let anyone else know. 😉

Abby September 15, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Nothing to be ashamed of! I’m pretty sure I did, too. 🙂

Angie September 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

Loved this! Especially all the motivational talk topics.

I didn’t write about it much… but our transition to kindergarten (notice I said “our”) was a lot like this. I expected Dillon to be like Miles, and he was on the first day. But when he realized he had to go over and over again… I dealt with tears every morning for a more than a week. But he’s BFF’s with his teacher now, and the other day he dropped “me” off. “See you later, Mom.” Wow.

And I’ve finally settled down. I was so stressed about getting lunch ready, getting out the door in time, making sure he did his homework. Kindergarten’s hard! But we’re getting the hang of it.

Oh, and Dillon didn’t eat his lunch, either. It took several days to get it exactly like he liked it. Now I’ve been ordered to make “the exact thing every single day.”

Whew. Glad I got that off my chest.

Abby September 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Oh, wow, Angie. I’m glad you’re both settling in. I have to make the exact same lunch everyday, too!