What Do You Think When a Blogger Does This?

by Abby on June 12, 2013

Mom blogger from the '50sHelp me settle something, people, will you? I was having a discussion with a fellow blogger recently. People who’ve been blogging for years and years like we have like to talk about nitty-gritty details like traffic, platforms, plug-ins and widgets, keywords and analytics, that sort of scintillating stuff. But often, it comes down to: when and how often should I blog? Daily? Biweekly? On a set schedule or whenever I feel like it?

My answers were, in summary: please for the love of God, NOT daily. No one can keep up with that. And by “no one” I mean me. Do you have any idea what my to-do list looks like most days?! I bet you do. I do think there’s a benefit to posting on a set schedule, like I try to do: Mon., Weds., Fri. People know what to expect and when. And believe me, I hear about it from my mother if I skip a day.

But here’s where my friend and I differed: I say it’s perfectly OK and even smart to republish something from your archives now and then in lieu of a brand-new, thoughtful, cohesive, timely post. Like, say, when your kid’s been out of school for barely a week for summer break and you’re already fried. Or your parents or in-laws are visiting and it’s seriously cutting into your blogging time.

If you’ve got hundreds of pretty-darn-good-if-you-do-say-so-yourself posts just languishing in your archives, why NOT re-post them for readers to enjoy again? (Or for the first time. Bloggers get new readers all the time.) My friend disagreed. I think she feels like that’s lazy or deceitful or something. Hey, even Oprah does it. Anyway, I’d like to hear from the people who really matter here: YOU, readers. Fill out my quick, 3-question survey, will you please? I won’t even care if I’m wrong and my friend’s right. (Much.)

Create your free online surveys with SurveyMonkey , the world’s leading questionnaire tool.

Stephanie Mills June 12, 2013 at 8:50 am

I didn’t answer the last question because my answer wasn’t listed as a choice. I’d say either. I’m fine with wordless Wednesday or an archive post or even just skipping it. It is your blog. The whole reason I started following you is that you are a busy mom like me. Of course you can’t post new items all the time, if you could, that would mean you probably have a nanny, clean baseboards, and you make every meal from scratch. And at that point, I couldn’t relate!!!!

Abby June 12, 2013 at 9:17 am

Wait… You’re supposed to clean the BASEBOARDS?!

jetts31 June 12, 2013 at 11:22 am

I’m of the ilk that you write when you have something to say. Blogging everyday is ridiculous. I barely like talking to my wife everyday let alone reading about the misadventures of parents I don’t even know everyday.
Reposting is fine, even on a weekly basis. There is a lot of good material out there that may never have been read. TV shows play reruns, why not writers reposting their work?

Abby June 12, 2013 at 11:46 am

Lol! That’s a great point about reruns. I can’t believe that example didn’t occur to me, TV addict that I am.

Kathleen Basi June 12, 2013 at 3:02 pm

I needed an option 3 for some of those questions. 🙂

Abby June 12, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Feel free to elaborate in the comments!

Rachel June 13, 2013 at 8:55 am

I didn’t take the quiz because most of my answers weren’t listed, so I’ll just tell you here!

I sometimes read old posts. If I think I haven’t read it, I’ll give it go. Otherwise, of course, I’ll pass. Unless it is a post I particularly liked.

It doesn’t bother me when a blogger re-posts something. I definitely understand that it’s hard to write all the time, especially when more important things are going on in their lives. However, and this is kind of my answer to question 3… I DO check blogs fairly regularly, almost daily, in hopes of something to read (I read obly your and one other blog…and just now know that you have a schedule), so when I’ve waited and waited a couple days for something new and it ends up being an old post I’ve already read… That IS a little disappointing.

Abby June 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

Thanks, Rachel, that’s really helpful! I suppose if you only read a couple of blogs, daily posts aren’t overwhelming, true. But if you read a dozen or more, plus write your own… well, my kids would never get fed if I tried to keep up!! I have recently given myself permission to relax my M-W-F by 8am schedule, but that’s still what I aim for.

Rachel June 13, 2013 at 8:56 am

That’d be only, of course. Not obly. =)

Angie Mizzell June 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Here are my answers to you questions:

1) I check to see if it’s something I read. I also like when the blogger explains why they are reposting it (maybe the rediscovered it, they had a new thought about it, etc. Not necessary, but a nice touch). Here’s an example of what I’m talking about here. http://www.chookooloonks.com/blog/hasselbladfriday-some-shots-from-the-beach-and-some-thoughts-from-the-archives

2) Doesn’t bother me, because I assume they have their reasons for repurposing the content. Probably for the reasons you stated… it’s good stuff and no reason to have it die in the blog archive graveyard.

3) I think a really short post, or a photo with a thought, or anything that the blogger is thinking about at the moment works for me. Like, sometimes when you add links or a funny quote or something at the end of a post… those are really great, and some of those things could be their own posts. There’s no harm in skipping a day, because life gets in the way, but if the blogger doesn’t want to skip… then any of the options you mentioned works for me.

Final thoughts… I try to highlight posts that are really good, or link back to them, and occasionally republish them. But what I’ve found with my own archives… my writing voice has changed and there are only a handful of posts I’d actually want to post again. But when I trip across those old posts that speak to me, I find a way to repurpose them.